Here is a short video showing how I fit Zorro’s collar and hames. I am still learning and am always looking for more information and am open to learning. If you have something to share please do so in the comments! Keep your comments kind and helpful please.
A few things to note:
- Using a collar that is too small is just as bad as using a collar that is too big. A collar that is too small will put undue pressure on the top of the neck and can cause breakage of the crest, pinching in the shoulders and wither area. Using a collar that is too big will cause the horse to have to pull an uneven load as the collar will most like twist and not lay centered. Also, a collar that is too big will rock on the horse’s shoulders when they trot.
- Always tighten your hames as much as you can. They are what connects your horse to the vehicle or plow or drag. You do NOT want the hames to pop off the collar. This also means your hames need to fit your collar correctly. If the hames are not bent to lay nice and neat in the space provided for them by the collar you run the risk of them coming off.
- The miniature horse and small pony collar have a little bit of adjustment where the fasteners are. This allows you to tighten the collar by about an inch and a half or make the collar about an inch and a half bigger. Collars are not made in half inches, but this adjustment can be the thing that helps your collar fit better.
- We now have two collars that are made especially for minis and small ponies:
- The All Purpose Collar – It is downsized both in size and in diameter to better sit back against the smaller equine’s shoulders, allowing them to really push into the load they are pulling.The rim is smaller as well, allowing for a more flush fit against the mini and small pony’s neck. The closure at the top is the lever style Patent Fastener for ease of use.
- The Buggy Style Collar – It is almost a pound lighter in weight than the 9SMP All purpose collar for minis and ponies. This is the perfect collar for those that want to use the collar and hames style in the show ring.
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to send me an email at email@example.com or leave a comment here!
2 thoughts on “How to Fit a Collar and Hames”
I have a 27 in collar and want use a collar pad,should I use a 29 in pad and a 29 in hame
It depends on what style collar you have. If you have a buggy style collar then you use a 27″ hame and a 29″ collar pad.
If you have a work style collar then you will order a hame that is 2″ bigger than the collar it goes on. You will order a pad that is 2″ bigger as well.
Hopefully that helps!