The best part about our business is talking to our customers! We invite you to take this Frequently Asked Questions page as the beginning of a conversation to come. To start, we’ve tried to answer for you here just some of the questions customers have asked over the years. Below, you’ll find our store sales and shipping policies.
If you don’t see the answer you’re looking for here, please call us! +1 224-HAR-NESS. That’s +1(224) 427-6377!
Frequently Asked Questions
Brahma Webb™ made by Weaver Leather, is a great choice for synthetic harness or tack. The web is very durable, tough and wears excellent.
Brahma Web™ strapping has a thin interior webbing impregnated with synthetic material which looks and feels very much like leather.
Most Brahma Webb™ is matte finish and grained to resemble leather. A great alternative to leather, Brahma Webb™ offers easy care, weather resistance and durability.
Brahma Webb™ is not affected by weather, does not absorb water, does not stretch, maintains its shape, and is easily cleaned with water or a damp cloth. It is extremely durable!
Many of our horse sizes harnesses are made from Brahma Webb™ and most of our traces. Our colored harnesses such as the MaraFUN and the colored parts of the ComfyFit and Trail Harness are made using Brahma Webb™ material called soft strap.
Some of our first Brahma Web™ harness made in 1993 and 1994 is still in daily use and shows no sign of wearing out!Click here to Learn more about our materials!
BioThane® is a synthetic product made in the USA.
BioThane® is the brand name of all coated webbing products made by BioThane Coated Webbing Corp. It’s basically a polyester webbing with a TPU or PVC coating that makes it more durable, waterproof, easy to clean and weldable.
ComfyFit harness, the Pleasure harness and all of our driving lines are made using the Biothane® material.
We only have BioThane® in black and brown.
Click here to Learn more about our materials!
Some advantages of bioplastic harness are:
- Maintenance-free – really!
- No oiling
- Easy to clean
- Highly durable
- Stays soft and pliable – no stiffening over time or because of weather
The following are basic measurements. To help decide the size you’ll need for your horse, we encourage you to use our handy-dandy measuring chart.
- Poll measurement is taken from corner of mouth, up over poll behind the ears, to corner of mouth on other side.
- Girth measurement is taken right behind the front legs, all the way around.
- Mini A, B, C, and Pony have 1/2″ Neck and Hip Straps, and 1″ traces.
- Mini C is a Chimacum Tack special size designed to fit mini’s who are a bit big for a Mini B and a bit small for a Pony size.
- Large Pony has 5/8″ Neck and Hip straps, and 1″ traces.
- Cob-Horse and Large Horse have 3/4″ Neck and Hip Straps, and 1 1/4″ traces
- Draft has 1″ Neck and Hip Straps, and 1 1/2″ traces
- Donkey and Mule harness is specifically designed to fit donkey and mules.
We can make any size you need, with any strapping you desire – both width and color. Many sizes and styles are in stock. However, we don’t stock draft parts or harnesses. Please allow lead time for draft harness products. If you have special needs or questions, please give us a call and we’ll be glad to take care of your order as quickly as possible. We make harness for all sorts of animals and functions.
Please go to the Size Chart Page to watch a video showing how to measure.
We require measurements for EVERY HARNESS PURCHASE.
How do I measure for...
- Measure from the corner of the horse’s mouth on one side, over the poll (behind the ears) to the corner of the horse’s mouth on the other side. This is called the poll measurement.
- Measure from temple to temple across the horse’s brow. This is called the browband measurement.
- Measure all the way around the horse’s nose approximately 2 fingers below the tear bones (located about midway down the horse’s face). This is the location for a cavason. The measurement is called the Noseband measurement. Bridle measurements for various sizes are included with the products.
If you have a bit which fits your horse, measure the mouthpiece from inside the cheek on one side to the inside of the cheek on the other.
If you need to start from scratch, use a smooth straight stick, ruler or dowel and place it in the horse’s mouth as if it were a bit. Then mark the stick with a marker or pen at the outside of the lip. Once you remove the stick from the mouth, simply measure between your marks with a measuring tape or ruler.Click here to Learn more about measuring your horse for a bit!
It does not matter how well a horse collar is made, if it is not properly fitted to the horse it is sure to hurt him. It is therefore necessary to use the greatest care in selecting the proper shape and size collar for your animal.
|To measure your animal for a collar, use a collar measure as shown, or make one from carpenter’s squares or cut one from cardboard. Place this caliper as shown. The collar measurement requires a straight line thru the center of the horses neck. |
To measure a Collar, not the animal, place a ruler against the collar cap and measure to the inside brim of the throat as illustrated right. It is easily done if you lay the collar on a flat surface and measure with a tape measure inside the rim from top to bottom.
For size of draft, measure around the collar at the widest part, of one side near the bottom.
|When fitting a horse with a collar there should not be any more space between the horse’s neck and the throat of the collar than will allow your four fingers, when laid flat on the inside of the throat of the collar, to pass freely.|
If care is taken in fitting the collar and adjusting the hames so the hame tug comes over the center of the draft, you will have eliminated all trouble with sore necks and shoulders and the horse will work with ease and comfort. More collared horses are ruined by collars which are fitted too large than from any other cause.Click here to Learn more about measuring your horse for a collar!
The size of the hames is dependent on the size of the collar. Buggy hames are generally the same size as the collar and Work Hames (Farm Hames) are adjustable and vary based on the size of the collar. Farm hames can generally accommodate more than one size collar.
Measuring for a harness is not difficult, but it is essential to getting a correct fit. See the following key and illustration below.
A. From corner of mouth, over poll, to other corner of mouth.
B. Length around nose, taken about two fingers width below the prominent cheek bone.
C. Length of browband – temple to temple.
D. Length of horse measured just on the side. Not center of chest to center of tail.
E. Height of horse from lowest hair on mane to the ground.
F. Girth – measured at the heart girth as shown.
G. Length of back from position of harness saddle to base of tail. Line should be straight, not conforming to horse’s body.
H. Point of shoulder to point of shoulder on the other side.
I. Point of hip to the point of hip on the other side.
Please go to the Size Chart Page to watch a video showing how to measure.
We require measurements for EVERY HARNESS PURCHASE.
Our harnesses are guaranteed to fit. This means we need you to measure twice and order once. Or even better, measure three times and order once! We have a How To Measure Chart you can take to your horse to write down the measurements you get. We ask that you be as accurate as you can, without over thinking it or stressing about it. Mindy Schroder will be contacting you either through email or phone after you place your harness order, to confirm the measurements you gave. Here is a guide on to how to measure.Click here to Learn more about measuring your horse for a harness!
Oh, dear! We’re very sorry. If we have sent an incorrect item we will pay for both the return shipping costs, and ship you the correct item as soon as possible. Life does get in the way sometimes and we apologize for the hassle.
If you inadvertently ordered the wrong item here on our website, just give us a call and we’ll sort it out together. It is fine for you to be human too. We generally do not pay return shipping in such cases.
We try our best to make sure each item is exactly what you’d like. Special order items which were made to your specifications are not returnable. As the saying goes, “Measure twice, cut once…”
However, if you’ve measured twice and still somehow managed to receive an item that isn’t quite right, we’ll work with you to make sure you’re happy. Just give us a call.
We accept returns of like new in-stock merchandise within 30 days of purchase unless other arrangements have been made. Like new condition means you can try the product on and be sure it fits and you are happy with it. If for some reason you need to return it or exchange it for a different size, etc. it is important for you to be sure it is clean before you return it! Also, be sure that parts are put together as they were when you received the item. Returned parts that are dirty have to be sold as used parts; you will be charged a restocking fee in such cases.
We are generally glad to trade sizes; your job is to return clean parts to us for exchange. Thanks.
There are two exceptions: you’ve specially ordered tack with brass hardware or colored strapping. These items are not returnable. We will try always to let you know brass is not returnable but even if you don’t remember that it is not returnable, we will remember! Colored strap goods are not returnable as well. You may have wished for a purple kick strap but it will not resell.
Please see the following question about returning custom-ordered items.
Special order items are not returnable, this includes brass hardware and colored straps. Whether that is halters, bridles, harness or driving lines they are not returnable!!
We simply can’t take these items back as they are custom. Please be sure to reach out if you are unsure about what it is you need. If you order the wrong thing and then don’t like it when you get it, we are truly sorry but will no longer take these orders back.
Harnesses are made up of dozens of parts, all with unique names. But that’s not a problem – here are a couple of handy chart to help you out, and if you’re still wondering what you need and how to get it, just call!
How cool! Can we see pictures!?
Your special equine/capra/bovine/canine needs a special harness, and we’ll do our best to get you what we need. Since we work with a very special harness maker, we are able to get some really fun custom orders taken care of. Like this pair harness we made for some sweet goats up in Northwestern Washington State: Goatorama!
If you need a custom harness, simply use our hand-dandy measuring tool, take your furry friend’s measurements, and then give us a call!
How do I...
We’re so glad you asked! Harness is our favorite thing to talk about, and if you spend time looking around our site and our blog you’ll learn all you need to know to make your decision. We have worked for decades with experts, trainers, show judges, and hobby-drivers, and we’ve learned a lot about how to help you choose your harness. Feel free to call or e-mail with any questions.
We specially designed our Comfy Fit harness to meet the needs of most of our pleasure and sport driving customers. Traditional pleasure harness is often the most appropriate for casual and/or occasional drivers. You may need farm harness, parade harness, logging or pulling harness, or even training harness, Perhaps you might be a Hollywood studio looking for a custom Emerald harness for a movie, such as the one we made for the “Oz the Great and Powerful.”, or a museum needing replica harness for a display.
Here’s a little short summary of each of our full harness products, to help you choose.
Pleasure Driving Harness – Traditional Buggy Harness
- Mini thru draft sizes including special sizes for mini donkeys and mules.
- Breast collar or Collar/Hames style
- Traditional pleasure harness is styled the same way it has been for at least 200+ years. The breast collar style features a straight breast strap that is one long unit from trace connector slot, around the front of the animal to the trace connector slot on the other side. Traditional pleasure harness has a well padded saddle (without a tree) and s simple bridle with blinds and winker stays – typically with square blinds for horses, pigeon wing blinds for donkeys and mules.
- Cruppers are soft folded leather made in such a way that nothing can rub on the sensitive skin on the underside of your horse’s tail.
- Hardware can be stainless or brass although we make brass harness as special order and do not take it back.
- Traditional pleasure harness is available in single or pair. Standard, deluxe or super deluxe styles.
We make our traditional pleasure harness with care and attention to detail. Each part is carefully cut and fitted and stitched using traditional equipment. The difference now is that we use contemporary materials along with authentic time honored craftsmanship. Traditional pleasure or buggy harness is well suited for casual pleasure driving,
Pleasure or Competition Harness – ComfyFit Harness
- Mini thru draft sizes including special sizes for mini donkeys and mules.
- Breast collar, Comfy Collar or Collar/Hames style
- ComfyFit Harness has several features differentiating it from Traditional harness.
- ComfyFit Breast collars are available in three styles, V curved, Deluxe (to allow more shoulder movement), and the Comfy Collar which is in essence a combination of a neck collar and a deluxe breast collar. Each collar style is designed to minimize airway constriction and ensure free movement. There is also a specially designed breast collar just for mini donkeys and mules.
- ComfyFit breast collars, breechings, saddles, neck straps are well padded and adjustable.
- ComfyFit saddles have an aluminum tree which is strong, light and semi adjustable. This gig type saddle is wrapped and padded with padding extending down the sides of the equine. Saddles are available with standard shaft loops, quick release shaft loops or sliding backbands.
- ComfyFit Bridles feature a curved crown piece to avoid irritating ears, an integrated noseband to keep the bridle stable on the animal, nicely shaped curved blinds and your choice of browband ornaments.
- Cruppers are soft, folded leather made in such a way that nothing can rub the sensitive skin on your horse’s tail.
- ComfyFit harness is available in all sizes as single, pair or other multiple configuration.
- Adaptive Walking Harness – designed individually for people using their VSE for walking assistance.
- Dorsal Hitch Harness – is available in traditional style or comfy fit style, made to work with a universal joint which attaches the cart to the horse from above and allows the horse to turn 360*
- Micro Mini Harness – traditional and comfy fit styles is designed specifically for the under 30″ crowd and is increasingly popular.
- Alternative harnesses have been made for a number of critters as special orders – Our current favorites can be seen at http:www.goatorama.com
- Mini thru draft sizes for horses, mules and donkeys.
- Single or Team or other multiple configuration.
- Several styles other than the standard farm style: i.e. hip style breeching, New England Side backer or logging/plow harness.
- Features include a two strap breeching spider, hip drops and face ornaments.
- Extra heavy pulling harness for competition from pony thru large draft sizes.
- Work harness is available in nylon or betathane.
- Work harness can be spotted with round or diamond spots, full or medium spots.
- Work harness is proportioned for your animal and heavily built for extensive use.
- Single, Team or other multiple configuration.
- Features include three strap fancy breeching spider, hip drops and face ornaments as well as tie straps, .
- Work harness is available in betathane (matte finish) or Bioplastic (shiny, patent look finish).
- Parade harness can be spotted with round or diamond spots, full or medium spots.
- Parade harness is proportioned for your animal and well built for extensive use.
And of course, if you have questions or want our input, feel free to give us a call at 224-HAR-NESS (224-427-6377).Click here to Learn more about choosing a harness!
Different types of work or vehicles require different style neck collars. Please note: All our collars are handmade using traditional methods, and may differ slightly from images on this site. All are of the highest quality and craftsmanship.
Full Sweeny (FS) are for heavy and “stud like” necks, where the neck is extremely thick at the upper part of the neck.
Half Sweeny (HS) fits necks that are side and thick at the upper part of the neck. Most Draft Horses use HS.
Full Face (FF) or straight collars fits flat and slender necks. Most buggy horses use FF.
Mule Collars have very straight sides and are available by special order.Click here to Learn more about collars!
Sales Terms & Conditions
We go out of our way to make sure your shopping experience with us is one that you’ll tell your friends and family about. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, contact us immediately and we will do our best to come to resolution, together.
We accept returns of like new in-stock merchandise within 30 days of purchase. We do not pay the cost of return shipping. Please let us know by e-mail or phone that you wish to make a return; Some items will come to us in California, some to our harness shop in Missouri. Some items have specific packaging and/or instructions which will need to be returned in their original condition as well. A 15% restocking fee may be withheld from your refund on any merchandise returned without its original packaging. In many cases this is not a problem but some items do have specific packaging which we need to resell the items.
Harness and Harness Parts returns: Please include a full size sheet of paper with your name, address, phone and e-mail in the box so that we can easily see who is to be credited with the return. These parts should be sent to Chimacum Tack Returns 8854 S AA Highway, Harwood, MO 64750. Thanks.
Bits and other non harness items should be sent to Chimacum Tack PO Box 2578 Suisun City, CA 94585. Thanks.
If we have sent an incorrect item, we will pay for its return and ship the correct item as soon as possible.
Items which have been custom made for you with brass hardware or colored strapping is not returnable. Be sure to measure twice! And call if you have any doubts about sizing or fit.
Items which have been ordered specifically to fit your horse, such as collars, hames, or other made to measure items, are not returnable. We are careful to verify sizes needed and request measurements so this is very seldom a problem. We frequently send sample items to try and fit. However we have had a few occasions where items were ordered against our advice and did not fit; We will not accept such items for a refund.
We guarantee our harness to fit and will work with you to make sure that happens. Generally harness is just right when it arrives but if there are any fit problems just let us know which parts need to be exchanged for another size.
If you are not pleased with an item purchased, for any reason, please let us know right away so that we may replace the item or offer a substitute. We strive for excellent customer service and would like to ensure that you receive from us products that are just right for your purposes and usage.
We charge actual shipping costs, to the best of our ability. Our cart will tell you automatically if you will be charged an estimated shipping at check out. Adjustments to the actual shipping costs will be made after we’ve processed your order, and we will let you know actual shipping costs and adjust your charge to reflect.
International Shipping is calculated individually and an estimate will be provided to the customer prior to shipping.
Return shipping is responsibility of the customer.
HorseDriver LLC dba Chimacum Tack, including our online location here at www.chimacumtack.com and any of our sister urls and sites, is a retail company and as such makes no warranty and accepts no responsibility for the performance of any merchandise sold, other than warranted by the manufacturer. We will be happy to direct you to the manufacturers warranty information, upon request.
Customers and users are entirely responsible for their own safety while using merchandise purchased from our company.