Like all of our Collars, this is an American made collar. Made individually, using traditional methods and equipment. This collar is made with all high quality full grain leather. The outseam is double stitched. This is an excellent, popular all purpose collar.
It has an extra wear plate fastened down with thongs on sizes 16″ and up. The average draft is 15″.
Also available with an adjustable collar cap which allows for sizes in increments of 3″, i.e. 21-22-23″. Collars are an important investment and we are glad to offer the adjustable cap at no extra charge. Adjustable collars are not available in sizes smaller than 16″
Closures include your choice of Buckle and Strap or Patent Fastener. Black only.
Sizes 10 – 24″ shaped to fit horses or mules/donkeys, just specify when you order. Available in Half Sweeny or Full Face or Mule/Donkey.
Most sizes are kept in stock. Sizes 10″ and 11″ are special order and are not returnable, please allow 2 week for special orders.
Please see this blog for information about what to do once you receive your collar: What to do after you receive your collar?
We accept returns of like new, in-stock merchandise within 30 days of purchase unless other arrangements have been made. Special order items are not returnable! This includes brass hardware, colored straps, and anything else listed in product descriptions as custom or special order.
Please review our full return policy on the FAQ & policies page.
Measuring For Your Collar
Please watch the video below on how to measure your horse for your collar!
You can find additional measuring information on our Size Chart Page.
How to Measure for a Collar:
- Use a collar measuring tool or make your own tool using two carpenter’s squares (L shaped rulers) or L shaped cardboard cutouts. Overlap the long sides of the two rulers or cutouts forming what looks like a letter C or one vertical side of a collar.
- Place measuring tool on the animal as if it were one vertical side of the collar. Place it just where you want the collar to sit on the animal at the wither and below the airway. Grip the tool so it won’t slip as you remove it. Be sure the two parts do not slip; then measure from the top to the bottom on the inside. That will be your collar size.
- Look from the front at your horse’s neck. You will be able to shape of the animal’s neck and determine the ‘sweeny’ for the collar.
- Average, straight necks (thoroughbreds and standardbreds) are FULL FACE.
- Necks that are wider at the bottom than the top (quarter horses, fjords, halflingers, and most average drafts) are HALF SWEENY.
Blog Articles that Pertain to Our Collars
How to Measure the Driving Collars (and hames!)
I am often asked how to go about measuring an existing collar. Sometimes we buy [...]
Which harness goes with which vehicle?
Nearly every day someone asks me if they can use (insert any breast collar style [...]
How to use a collar and hames with a Pleasure style harness
Pleasure harnesses are such a great bang for your buck! They can be used with [...]
Winter Fun – Sledding safely!
If you live where it snows you know just how fun winter can be. Cold [...]
Why a collar and hames?
Weekly, I discuss harness option with people. I always ask what it is they are [...]
Collar Types and How to Measure for a Horse Collar
I often get this question: What type of collar should I buy? Full Face? Half [...]
How to Fit a Collar and Hames
Here is a short video showing how I fit Zorro’s collar and hames. I am [...]
How to Make a Work Horse Collar
The harness shop makes our harness sets, such as the Pleasure/Buggy harness, the MaraFUN harness, [...]
A Little About Neck Collars for Harnesses
By Janie Amdal Different types of harness are used for different purposes and require different [...]
Feel free to call our HARNESS HOTLINE at 1-224-HARNESS with any questions!
As always, our harness is guaranteed to fit and perform!