Like all of our collars, CareFree All Purpose Horse Collars are American made. Made individually, using traditional methods and equipment (but with contemporary materials), these collars make your work easier! Constructed from USA-made PVC belting—an incredibly tough material. Rims are filled with extruded rubber. Collars are stuffed with tangled wheat straw. Semi-gloss, tough as nails finish, they’re very nice looking. They are one of the exciting new CareFree synthetic collars developed by Countryside.
CareFree All Purpose Collars are available in sizes 18″ – 24″ Half Sweeney with Lever (patent) fasteners. Black only.
CareFree All Purpose Collars are also available with adjustable collar caps. Because collars are an important investment, we are glad to offer the adjustable collars at no extra charge.
What are CareFree Collars? Why don’t I know about them?
The answer is they are Chimacum Tack’s favorite new collars! Made by Countryside, CareFree Collars are the result of several years of planning, gathering materials, figuring out how to make materials work properly to make fabulous synthetic neck collars.
We have been proud to work with Countryside over the past 25 years. These new collars are a noteworthy achievement and we are proud to add them to our Chimacum Tack and Comfy Fit products.
If you have never heard about CareFree collars, you are not alone! Unless you know where to find them, or unless you frequent quiet back roads, you’d never hear about them. CareFree collars are, as they say, the hottest thing since sliced bread! Countryside stays busy keeping up with the demand for these new collars. Here are some of the reasons we love them:
- Use with or without a pad
- No oiling
- Rinse off with water
- No rotting
- Rust-free hardware
- Will not absorb sweat, mud, creek water, urine, etc.
- No leather
- Very tough and durable
- Lighter weight
- Long lasting
- Extensively tested in everyday use
- Molded caps
- Less expensive than leather collars
We accept returns of like new, in-stock merchandise within 30 days of purchase unless other arrangements have been made. Special order items are not returnable! This includes brass hardware, colored straps, and anything else listed in product descriptions as custom or special order.
Please review our full return policy on the FAQ & policies page.
Measuring For Your Collar
Please watch the video below on how to measure your horse for your collar!
You can find additional measuring information on our Size Chart Page.
How to Measure for a Collar:
- Use a collar measuring tool or make your own tool using two carpenter’s squares (L shaped rulers) or L shaped cardboard cutouts. Overlap the long sides of the two rulers or cutouts forming what looks like a letter C or one vertical side of a collar.
- Place measuring tool on the animal as if it were one vertical side of the collar. Place it just where you want the collar to sit on the animal at the wither and below the airway. Grip the tool so it won’t slip as you remove it. Be sure the two parts do not slip; then measure from the top to the bottom on the inside. That will be your collar size.
- Look from the front at your horse’s neck. You will be able to shape of the animal’s neck and determine the ‘sweeny’ for the collar.
- Average, straight necks (thoroughbreds and standardbreds) are FULL FACE.
- Necks that are wider at the bottom than the top (quarter horses, fjords, halflingers, and most average drafts) are HALF SWEENY.