Like all of our collars, the FeatherFlex All Purpose Horse Collars are made individually, using traditional methods and equipment (but with contemporary materials), these collars make your work easier! FeatherFlex collars are made in the USA from a relatively new, synthetic, heavy duty, but lighter weight sheeting. It’s an incredibly tough material. Rims are filled with tangled straw for flexibility. Collars are stuffed with tangled wheat straw. Semi-gloss, tough as nails finish, they’re very nice looking. These have been tested in everyday use in all weather!
FeatherFlex All Purpose Collars are available in sizes 18″ – 24″ Half Sweeney with Lever (patent) fasteners. Black only.
These are very hard to keep in stock!
What are FeatherFlex Collars? Why don’t I know about them?
These are the newest of the Carefree Collars. The answer is they are Chimacum Tack’s favorite new collars! Made by Countryside, FeatherFlex collars are the result of several years of planning, gathering materials, and figuring out how to make materials work properly to make fabulous synthetic neck collars. Like all of our collars, these are American made. Each one built carefully, with traditional equipment and technology, from contemporary materials. We have been proud to work with Countryside over the past 25 years. These new collars are a noteworthy achievement and we are proud to add them to our other Chimacum Tack and Comfy Fit products.
If you have never heard about FeatherFlex collars, you are not alone! Unless you know where to find them, or unless you frequent quiet back roads, you’d never hear about them. FeatherFlex collars are, as they say, the hottest thing since sliced bread! Countryside stays busy keeping up with the demand for these new collars. Here are some of the reasons we love them:
- Use with or without a pad
- No oiling
- Rinse off with water
- No rotting
- Rust-free hardware
- Will not absorb sweat, mud, creek water, urine, etc.
- No leather
- Very tough and durable
- Lighter weight
- Long lasting
- Extensively tested in everyday use
- Molded caps
- Less expensive than leather collars
We accept returns of like new, in-stock merchandise within 30 days of purchase unless other arrangements have been made. Special order items are not returnable! This includes brass hardware, colored straps, and anything else listed in product descriptions as custom or special order.
Please review our full return policy on the FAQ & policies page.
Measuring For Your Collar
Please watch the video below on how to measure your horse for your collar!
You can find additional measuring information on our Size Chart Page.
How to Measure for a Collar:
- Use a collar measuring tool or make your own tool using two carpenter’s squares (L shaped rulers) or L shaped cardboard cutouts. Overlap the long sides of the two rulers or cutouts forming what looks like a letter C or one vertical side of a collar.
- Place measuring tool on the animal as if it were one vertical side of the collar. Place it just where you want the collar to sit on the animal at the wither and below the airway. Grip the tool so it won’t slip as you remove it. Be sure the two parts do not slip; then measure from the top to the bottom on the inside. That will be your collar size.
- Look from the front at your horse’s neck. You will be able to shape of the animal’s neck and determine the ‘sweeny’ for the collar.
- Average, straight necks (thoroughbreds and standardbreds) are FULL FACE.
- Necks that are wider at the bottom than the top (quarter horses, fjords, halflingers, and most average drafts) are HALF SWEENY.