Here it is, our newest CT special harness. This harness is exactly as the name describes. A harness perfect for the various terrain one encounters on a trail drive! Steep hills, rough trails, mud, creek crossings, long sweaty drives. The Trail harness is the perfect choice for drives like this!
Not available anywhere else! Chimacum Tack’s own Mindy- PonyPrincess put this harness together using parts from the both the Comfy Fit and the Pleasure harness. She calls it the Trail Harness!
Mindy lives in rural Montana and takes full advantage of the extravagantly beautiful country around her. Here is what she says about the Trail Harness:
“When you are doing some rather intense trail driving, navigating boulders, steep inclines (and declines!) crossing water, and trotting for miles and miles up mountain logging roads, this harness is guaranteed to keep your mini (horse or donkey) or pony Comfy and Happy!”
~ Mindy Pony-Princess
The Trail harness combines the SuperFlex collar with Martingale, the ComfyFit saddle (treed or treeless), the Comfy Curve Girth, Trace Carriers, the Pleasure style back and hip straps and padded breeching. You will be confident that your mini or pony can tackle any terrain you come across. The Trail harness is durable, weatherproof, and will last for many years. Also included are standard ComfyFit shaft loops and combo traces.
DRIVING LINES ARE BROWN SOFT STRAP UNLESS ANOTHER COLOR IS SPECIFIED. BLACK YACHT ROPE DRIVING LINES ARE ANOTHER OPTION.
You have a choice between the Comfy Fit Bridle (with blinders) or the English bridle (for an Open Bridle option).
You’ll note there are a few options in the drop down menu:
- If you want to use a bridle WITHOUT blinders you would choose the English Bridle. It’s just a simple bridle (without the blinder buckle) and comes with the separate cavesson for the nose band. If you want to use blinders then you’ll choose the ComfyFit bridle.
- The girth options – Comfy Curve Girth or Elastic Girth. To learn about these two girths please go to the INDIVIDUAL products. There is info about each girth with photos: Comfy Curve Girth & Elastic Girth **Please note – You are simply looking at each product and gathering more information so you make a good choice for your pony. You do NOT need to add these to the cart as whichever option you want will come with the harness set!! Also, any words in bold and brown are links to that product or to a blog post.
- Treed or Treeless saddle? There are blogs about that! You can find those here:
ComfyFit Treed Saddle versus the Treeless Saddle
Learning to read sweat patterns and pressure marks
Treed versus Treeless Driving Saddle
This harness comes in BLACK STRAPS ONLY!!! You can choose colored back pads (which is what the vinyl option is above.)
When you order a Trail Harness set, which is what this product is, you will get:
- the bridle
- the SuperFlex collar w/ collar cap
- the traces
- the false martingale
- the saddle
- a permasoft back pad (Black back pads are kept in stock. All other colors in the drop down menu will take up to 2 weeks to be ready for delivery.)
- the girth
- the turn back strap with hip straps
- the breeching
- trace carriers
- the hold back straps
- and driving lines!
Everything you need to hitch your pony to your cart!
- If you want to use this harness as a pairs harness you’ll need to go to the product linked below (shown in brown text) and ADD it to your cart as well:
Upgrade to Pair D’s
Measuring For Your Harness
Please go to the Size Chart Page to watch a video showing how to measure.
We require measurements for EVERY HARNESS PURCHASE.
Our harnesses are guaranteed to fit. This means we need you to measure twice and order once. Or even better, measure three times and order once! We have a How To Measure Chart you can take to your horse to write down the measurements you get. We ask that you be as accurate as you can, without over thinking it or stressing about it. Mindy Schroder will contact you if there is any issue with the measurements or questions about your order. If everything looks good there will be only an email confirming the order and letting you know when it’s been sent off to the harness maker. Here is a guide on to how to measure.
**We ask that you include the measurements for your harness in the Notes section of your order. After you click the Pay button, the next screen will have a place to write notes. That is the perfect place to give us any instructions about your harness as well!
For instructions on how to measure your equine for the SuperFlex Collar visit think link. WHEN MEASURING FOR THE COLLAR, YOU MUST USE EITHER CARPENTER SQUARES OR A COLLAR MEASURING STICK OR TWO L SHAPED PIECES OF CARDBOARD. YOU MUST USE SOME KIND OF STRAIGHT EDGE TO MEASURE FOR A COLLAR. Collars are measured top to bottom inside the rim. It is necessary to measure a straight line thru the center of the horses neck to get the correct collar size.